The Atlantic Hurricane Season, spanning from June 1 to November 30, poses significant threats to the integrity of your property’s windows and doors. During this period, strong winds and potential flooding can cause substantial damage. To mitigate these risks, it is crucial to take steps to secure your commercial windows and doors from the impact of hurricanes. Not only does this protect your property from costly damages, but it may also qualify you for lower insurance premiums. Let’s explore the financial implications of hurricane damage and effective preparation for commercial windows and doors.
The High Cost of Hurricane Damage
Each year, commercial and residential properties in the U.S. sustain approximately $5 billion in damages during hurricane season. Larger storms, such as Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Sandy, have resulted in staggering costs, reaching billions of dollars. Wind damage is the primary culprit, causing blow-out windows, roof damage, and siding destruction. Windswept debris can also shatter windows, further adding to the devastation. To mitigate wind damage, hurricane-resistant window glazing is often required in new construction commercial properties located in hurricane-prone areas.
However, flood damage incurs the highest costs during hurricanes. According to the National Flood Insurance Program, just one inch of flooding in a 1,000 square foot residential property leads to an estimated $10,600 in damages. Commercial properties face even greater costs. From 2010 to 2014, the average commercial flood claim amounted to $89,000. Additionally, the long-term effects of hurricane damage can be substantial, with up to 25% of businesses failing to reopen following a flood.
Tips for Protecting Commercial Windows During Hurricane Season
During hurricane season, windows are highly vulnerable to damage. Implementing the following measures can reinforce the integrity of your window system:
- Impact-Resistant Hurricane Windows: Constructed with laminated glazing layers held together by a membrane, these windows offer exceptional durability. They are designed with heavy-duty frames and effectively withstand wind and debris impact.
- Hurricane Films for Windows: Transparent coatings applied to the exterior of windows, hurricane films hold shattered glass together, preserving the window barrier’s integrity upon impact.
- Plywood Coverings for Windows: While not suitable for large, multi-story commercial properties, plywood coverings can protect ground-floor windows in smaller single-story buildings. Secure plywood to the window frames or building exterior for added reinforcement.
- Weather Stripping and Window Sealing: Regularly inspect and replace weather stripping to ensure proper sealing. Maintaining the integrity of the window seal is essential for preventing water intrusion during hurricanes.
Tips for Protecting Doors and Doorways During Hurricane Season
Doors, including glass doors and storefronts, are also susceptible to wind damage. Consider the following strategies to reinforce them:
- Three-Hinged Doors: Exterior doors with at least three hinges are better equipped to withstand extreme hurricane winds. Metal or solid wooden core doors offer increased resistance to air pressure changes and flying debris. Reinforce glass doors, hollow-core wooden or metal doors, or double-entry doors with plywood or shutters.
- Overhead Door Reinforcement: Commercial and industrial hanging doors are particularly vulnerable to wind damage. Invest in hurricane-resistant overhead doors that can withstand strong winds and prevent wind intrusion, which may damage the roof and siding.
Choose Expert Commercial Window and Door Installation for Hurricane Season
At Aeroseal Corp, we specialize in retrofitting properties in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions with hurricane-resistant windows and doors. As a trusted vendor-installer, we handle sales, design, and installation, maintaining strong relationships with the country’s top hurricane-resistant window and door manufacturers. If you’re seeking effective solutions to prepare your property for hurricane season, contact Aeroseal today. Our experienced team will guide you through the process, discussing the options available to safeguard your property.
By investing in expert commercial window and door installation, you can protect your property from wind and flood damage during hurricane season. Not only will this provide peace of mind, but it can also help you qualify for lower insurance premiums. Don’t underestimate the financial impact of hurricanes, which can result in billions of dollars in damages. Act now to mitigate the risks and secure your property.
Contact Aeroseal to explore the best solutions for preparing your property for hurricane season. Our knowledgeable team will assess your needs, provide comprehensive recommendations, and handle the installation process with expertise. Safeguard your property and ensure the safety and satisfaction of your tenants with our high-quality hurricane-resistant windows and doors. Don’t wait until it’s too late—take proactive measures to protect your investment and minimize the potential damage caused by hurricanes.